The Republican Party may have recently seen their frontrunner Donald Trump refuse to attend the GOP primary debate due to disagreements with the debate’s moderators, but it seems that he may not be the only GOP candidate to be absent from the upcoming event. Last week, rumors began circulating that other candidates may be considering skipping the upcoming debate in Cleveland because of Trump’s behavior.
The political commentators who mentioned the possibility of other Republican candidates skipping the debate believe that the tension between the party and the business mogul has grown to the point where turning a blind eye might be the best way to go. While the candidates may not agree with Trump’s actions, they risk being labelled traitors to the party and having their chances of getting elected very slim if they openly condemn his behavior.
This sentiment was further echoed by a poll of Republican voters, which showed that almost 60% of those surveyed would be supportive of other candidates skipping the debate rather than directly confronting Trump on his political views. On the other hand, almost 40% of the same poll acknowledged that attending the event as a unified platform could allow the Republican party to rebuild its foundation and to show voter solidarity.
While candidates may be hesitant to make a move either way, the American people will undoubtedly be feeling the pressure that comes with the upcoming debate. Whether it’s Trump alone or a collective of Republican candidates who decide to stay away from the event, the only sure thing is that the debate will be an intense one either way.