• World News
  • Investing
  • Economy
  • Politics
  • Editor’s Pick
Target Line News
Politics

GOP lawmaker joins Democrat-led effort to limit Trump’s pardon power

by February 17, 2026
by February 17, 2026

A House GOP lawmaker has become the first member of his party to support a Democrat-led effort to limit presidential pardon power.

Rep. Don Bacon, R-Neb., signed on in support of legislation led by Rep. Johnny Olszewski, D-Md., to establish a congressional review process for presidential pardons.

It comes after President Donald Trump pardoned five ex-NFL players guilty of various charges including perjury, drug trafficking and counterfeiting. 

‘Across multiple administrations, we’ve seen legitimate questions raised about how this authority has been used at the same time, the ability of Congress to provide oversight has weakened,’ Bacon said in a statement. ‘Frankly, it is clear to me the pardon authority has been abused.’

And while Bacon did not mention Trump directly, Olszewski made clear that the Republican commander in chief is the main impetus for his push for a new constitutional amendment.

‘The announcement follows the Trump Administration’s decision earlier this week to pardon five former NFL players whose charges ranged from perjury to drug trafficking,’ said Olszewski’s press release announcing Bacon’s support on Monday. 

‘The pardons are part of what Olszewski describes as a disturbing pattern of abuses of the presidential pardon power benefiting the wealthy and well-connected.’

The amendment, if adopted, would give Congress the right to initiate a review process for presidential pardons if called for by 20 House members and five senators.

The review process would end with a vote on whether to nullify the pardon, needing two-thirds’ support in both the House and the Senate to succeed. 

The president would then be barred from issuing that same pardon to the same recipient again.

Former President Joe Biden notably took heat from Republicans and even some Democrats when he issued preemptive pardons for his family members and other allies, including son Hunter Biden, shortly before leaving office.

Bacon, a moderate Republican and retired Air Force brigadier general, has already announced he is not seeking re-election in November. 

He’s one of several GOP lawmakers in Congress who have been willing to buck Trump on a variety of issues, including the separation of powers.

For instance, Bacon was one of a handful of House Republicans who voted with Democrats to terminate Trump’s emergency declaration at the northern border, which the president had used to justify imposing tariffs on Canada without congressional approval.

Bacon told Fox News Digital at the time, ‘It is time for Congress to make its voice heard on tariffs.’

Fox News Digital reached out to the White House for comment but did not immediately receive a response.

This post appeared first on FOX NEWS

0 comment
0
FacebookTwitterPinterestEmail

previous post
Rubio shines on global stage while AOC, Whitmer, and Newsom take heat

You may also like

Rubio shines on global stage while AOC, Whitmer,...

February 17, 2026

Thune guarantees voter ID bill to hit the...

February 17, 2026

Tom Emmer blasts Democrats’ double standard on SAVE...

February 17, 2026

GOP reaches key 50-vote threshold for Trump-backed voter...

February 17, 2026

Schumer says Dems will fight voter ID push...

February 16, 2026

DAVID MARCUS: Trump hits the links with a...

February 16, 2026

Hillary Clinton clashes with Czech leader over Trump...

February 16, 2026

Iran says US must ‘prove they want to...

February 16, 2026

Man who burned Quran in London may get...

February 16, 2026

Collins boosts Republican voter ID effort, but won’t...

February 15, 2026







    Join our mailing list to get access to special deals, promotions, and insider information. Your exclusive benefits await! Enjoy personalized recommendations, first dibs on sales, and members-only content that makes you feel like a true VIP. Sign up now and start saving!


    By opting in you agree to receive emails from us and our affiliates. Your information is secure and your privacy is protected.

    • About us
    • Contacts
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Email Whitelisting

    Disclaimer: targetlinenews.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.

    Copyright © 2025 targetlinenews.com | All Rights Reserved

    Target Line News
    • World News
    • Investing
    • Economy
    • Politics
    • Editor’s Pick